I wouldn't say it's "ridiculous and thankless", but it is just a fact of corporate life that some functions will be more highly valued. If I had only limited funds and could retain either a tech writer or an engineer, I would have to choose the engineer. We may tell people "how to make the product work", but they do in fact make the product.

That said, I don't disagree with those that say this is a profession with all its attendant rights and privileges and point up all the good that we do for the corporation. I think tech writing is still in the nebulous stage that doctoring was in back in the mid19th/early 20th century - it's struggling to be recognized as a true profession, but not there yet. There is no organization comparable to the AMA to take us all the way, and I say this as a senior member of STC. It's been 56 years now.

"Business analyst" and "information architect" somehow have a more professional ring, maybe because they have more tangible value to the powers that be. If you can show me where my processes can be improved, or how I can increase traffic at my website, you're providing visible value. If you can make me a better manual than an engineer, show me how that improves my bottom line. It may be clear to us, but it's not so to others. The nose dive in salaries and contract rates speaks for itself.

It looks like Raj is tired of fighting the good fight. There are good places to work that are invested in high quality writing, but they are certainly not in the majority. Fight to get in there, fight to keep quality up, fight to be recognized as a professional - sometimes you just get tired of fighting. That's what vacations are for. It may look better in 2010, Raj.

Happy Holidays

Jack DeLand

solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or HTML and
publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals. Download Free Trial.
www.doctohelp.comhttp://www.techcommpros.com/componentone/