--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "damiensomerset"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I wanted to tell you guys about our new green show called ZapRoot.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlP_1MSDK_U
>
> ZapRoot is an unconventional bite-sized news show that covers the fast
> changing world of the modern Green Revolution.  With sarcasm,
> silliness, & sanity, ZapRoot encourages you to have a better time
> while making a better world.
>
> We got our asses handed to us by NewTeeVee, see here:
> http://tinyurl.com/ynmu7r

Nice work on the show, Damien.  Congrats, and good luck with it. :)

Here's the reply I posted to the NewTeeVee article:

=====

I didn't mind the production values, though I do see your point that
some people will see ZapRoot as being too highly produced not to be
the `front' for some sort of entrepreneurial interest.

I'll be interested to see how the viewers react to jump-cutting a
small character over a moving greenscreen background.

I've done my own jump-cut videos against a static background or even a
static background with changing depths. I've seen Damien Somerset's
work on "Ask A Ninja", which is jump-cutting over one solid color and
in a confined space. Of course, Ze Frank utilized jump-cuts… again, in
a confined space with a certain size/space/distance relationship
between the character and the camera.

What I haven't seen… and maybe this is the next big thing… is
jump-cutting over a moving background where the character's so far
away from the camera that they completely physically disappear from
one location and arrive somewhere else on the screen several times
within the same sentence.

Having said that, I think the writing's fascinating and they have the
niche subject matter to create a very popular show. They definitely
have the elements of that formula that's worked so well for other
video blog shows. ZapRoot seems ambitious and edgy… Definitely one to
keep an eye on in the coming months.

=====

I think the show is very well done and is going to turn a lot of heads
with the style and the edginess.  Personally, I found it hard to watch
with the on-air-talent hyperspacing all over the place, but that's
partially because I tend to watch videos full-screen.  Even if they're
small, I zoom them with my macbook pro zoom feature.  In trying to
focus on the talent, I found myself looking at empty green space very
often, and then during the time I spent re-locating the character, I
wasn't listening to the dialogue so I was missing the point of the
sentences.  Then again, I was looking at the video for checking out
the style of it, not to listen to the message of it.  It's possible
that your actual viewers, who are specifically interested in whatever
you're talking about, will be more in-tune with the audio than the
video and you'll be very successful in getting your point across.

However, like I said in the post... Maybe hyperspacing the talent is
the next big thing, and you're about to set a trend. :)  Either way,
you definitely have the proper elements in place to have a
highly-viewed and popular show, like http://webbalert.com or
http://wallstrip.com or http://textra.podshow.com/ or http://9.yahoo.com/.

--
billcammack