> > - Hiphop and r&b are much more controlled by major labels. They
> > probably
> > have a marketing strategy in which this lag is purposefully built in.
> > The rationale for it is unclear to me though.

I think this is about right.  I had a friend who lived in europe last
summer and he told me that the commercial dance tracks there are around
before the blow up here.  He had a few examples of songs you might hear on
mtv or commercial crap radio (93.1 in detroit for example) whose names I
don't know or care to know but we all would recognize.  One that comes to
mind is that La Da Dee La Da Da one that you hear all over which he said
was like the song of the summer over in germany even though that was a
while before it got drilled into skulls of americans.

I've been told before that many of the shitty dance pop tunes (you know
like in the venga boys, aqua, la bouche vein that get put on the sorrority
girl friendly dance mix comps you see advertised on tv which some misguided
souls might call techno) are popular in europe months or more before they
get radio play in the US.

So I've just always figured that the record companies program their hit
computers like this.  Since dance music has more commercial success in
Europe that's like the test market to see if it will be worth releasing in
the US.  What you've said reaffirms my belief, they probably test hip hop
and RnB for success in the states.

fuck 'em all
_joe