In a message dated 2/10/00 3:52:40 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Anyway, about Hot97: I was in NYC from July-September last year and
listened to it quite a bit. One thing that struck me in the last one/two
months or so, is the number of hiphop and r&b tunes that are new in the
charts or on the radio here in the Netherlands (and I presume in most of
Europe) that were in heavy rotation on Hot97 three to six *months*
earlier.

Some examples, some slighty more recent than others:
Donell Jones - "U know what's up" (v. good r&b tune, btw)
Montell Jordan - "Get it on tonite" (ditto)
ODB - "Baby I got your money"
702 - "You don't know" (313 relevance courtesy of TP: Mark Kinchen
produced this)
Kelis - "Caught out there" aka 'I hate you so much right now'

This several-month-lag between the US and Europe surprises me.

Otto,

With some of the music you just mentioned, it's critical that commercial
r&b/rap like that get sales momentum in the States before a European release
is justified. This explains the time lag.

When I was in Rotterdam watching MTV and that new Dutch music channel, it was
like I never left the States. Destiny's Child, Foxy Brown and Jay-Z with the
occasional Eurotrashdisco track (Alice Deejay's "I Want You Back In My Life"
became the unofficial theme song of the whole trip) to remind me I wasn't
still in Detroit, music-wise. VIVA and VIVA Zwei (GER) are my favorite
European music channels.

Also consider that the acts you just named would probably be considered
second or third-tier at best. Puff Daddy's album was available worldwide on
the same day or within the same week (for all the good it did him). Will
Smith's "Willennium" also.

Kelis is gorgeous, isn't she ? She can hate me all she wants.

a.