Hi Diana,

I hear you sister! Getting reviews published is hell esp. when you're only
writing them as part of your hobby. The staff writers always go first. So if
you do ten reviews, about two get in. And, oh yes, I know the syndrome of
people promising you promo's and never sending them. Even after sending the
published interview you did with them and reviews on their releases you
bought in the store, they still don't care. I hate that. Why don't they just
say 'Sorry, I don't have any more promotional copies to spare'. I would
never be mad for that, but now you just keep on running to the mailbox
hoping that there will be some cool stuff in there. If we were in this for
the money or profit we would have long given up right?

Keep writing!

John

ugh.reviews.when i decided to concentrate on school (novel idea eh?)and work

2 jobs, i went to just writing reviews for on-lines.ive been reviewing
strictly now for about 2 years for 2 of em.

i would say my one big complaint for reviews is getting the material from
the people and then finding a place to post it. whenever i see people i
always say 'send me your record,so i can review and get it out there' and
maybe only a few do send it to me (after taking my info) and once i do get
it, i then have to have shop it around and find a place/mag for it to be
posted because 1.the editor has to feel someone cares enough to read the
review 2.some one else might already be reviewing it. I also always listen
to the full piece of material (i dont assume the whole cd sounds like track
one,so i dont stop there),which takes time.For me, writing reviews is also
like putting your head freely on the chopping block and giving the public
the ax. Though i always try and be positive, some sort of informed critism
is always needed-which i hate doing-and will always piss some one off.

so...now that ive done that semi-off topic tangent,any support lists for
music journos?

;0)
diana