The fact is there is NO money in music journalism,

j.d.

id have to agree here too. Though, there is a way to make money off of journalism...but not enough to fully live on a decent scale unless you are senior editor or something of higher stature..and even then its not a glamorous life. The mags that pay are often very tongue and cheek and BIG and SHINY and are worried about kissing the ass of the 15 minute wonder. I have to give credit however to Hobey Ecklin for bringing some sort of knowledge to Mixer America. I read some articles in some of these bigger magazines and its just sugar and gloss, Hobey at least points to where its due.

ive looked into starting my own publication many times just because ive gotten sick of waiting for editors...but alot of money is needed to do so, its something that has to build over time & a dream of mine that will probably never really become real fruit. Though its in a coma right now, Massive Magazine-its rise and departure to coma status-is a really good look at how a magazine went from the copier machine and staples to glossy cover and still kept its integrity ("beers,gun,trashy women" and all)despite money difficulties. Matt Bonde would be a good commentator here (though hes stepped down as lead editor now).

there are journalists whose material ive read and it seems they are in it because its a paying gig and they get to be cool. I remember reading an interview with stacey pullen and i actually think thats when i became disgusted with glossy mags-this one in particular. BUT there are the editors that are keeping it all in good check, like Hobey and writers like Dan, in the glossies. i digress a bit here though because writers gotta eat too, and though it seems like some are doing the "sell out track" in article form-we're doing the best with what we have to work with while meeting alot of ppl's needs-including the editor's, the artist,the label and ours (ours coming last). Lastly i will say over the last five or six years I have probably dished out much much much more for research material (records/phone calls),film and travel expenses for reviews and articles than i have made off of articles (includes CDs,records and entrance fee), but i NEVER have had a moment of regret, its all paid off in the end.

choi bellas
diana