The thing is... I'm not saying Moby is a genius - or that he's not in it for
the money - or that he's a great DJ or showman - or that this LP meant tons
of hours of hard work for him. Everything that has been said on this list
against Moby is probably right - the thing is, the question was about making
a 50 list of the best albums of electronic music... and Play is good, really
really good, it stands the test of time, it brings me a lot of pleasure when
I listen to it (and so it does for lots of people I know, including people
who are far from being Britney Spears fans in the first place), and on top
of it, it also is an important album, in that it opened several friends of
mine to "soft techno" - once they are OK with Play, I was able to open them
up to SAW II, CiM or Boards of Canada, then to those who did this kind of
music in Detroit, such as Carl Craig's Landcruising or Atkins' Model 500
Classics...
I'm not standing up for the artist, who seems to deserve all the smelly
stuff that's been heaped on his bald cranium on this list, I'm standing up
for the album...
Gwendal