I must agree with Cyclone on this one. Moby is the pop poster boy of techno. He's insanely jealous of the Detroit artists (it was evident when I talked to him about it) and that whole punk rock record he made was a complete mistake. His agent told him to get back into dance music because it was what people liked so he did it otherwise he might still be trying to be punk. He even said at one time, though he won't admit it (and I tried to get him to come clean about it), that he _left_ dance music because it was boring and all the "wrong people" were getting attention (at the time it was Aphex Twin) and that "intelligent techno" was getting all the attention and he thought it didn't deserve it. His attempt at making emotional music is pretty blatent minor key classical rip-offs. "Go" was interesting but not ground-breaking. The one track with, what was it, 1000 bpms? Wow, really stretching it there (sarcasim). The music sounds nice at times but I really think he follows what will put him in the spotlight and then wrapping himslef in a cloak of mystery and "the little loser" act to get sympathy (like that other wanker Morrisey). Which he isn't, he's one rich mutherf*cker. To compare his work to St. Germain is an insult to St. Germain and music with guts. I've seen him live several times and had the chance to see him rehearse his act before the actual live show. I saw and heard absolutely no improvisation or real heart and soul displayed...very choreographed. Even his "jams" on the bongos were worked out before hand. After talking with him and doing extensive background research on him I really do feel that he would be doing something else if dance music wasn't paying his bills.

Fred

From: "Cyclone Wehner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313 Detroit <313@hyperreal.org>
Subject: Re: [313] Let's Talk Techno
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 06:24:38 +1000

>I also agree with Gwendal, Moby's last album Play is very enlightening, not >unlike Garnier's last one, it plays with a whole range of electronic styles,
>and reminds me of some early St. Germain.

I just don't get the Moby is a pioneer argument myself.

You know the story of that album, don't you? Moby went out to his local
chain store bought two CDs of old blues/gospel samples and thought aha and
viola.

You could do it. Even Puffy is more original as at least he devised an
aesthetic (hip-hop soul) and didn't just sample.

And as for Moby's live shows, well.....

Now Garnier, there IS a genius.