>For the 'techno-purists' amongst us Moby will never be real.
> For others who aren't so purist-like really don't care that much.

I was simply waiting for that to be stated, and I apologize now for the
length, this field is a passion of mine, and I enjoy testing new theories in
debate...

Anyways, I got into this on the Axis site during the drum talk.  I truly
feel that there is not a measurable difference between the quality of say
Moby vs.. Paul Mac, both are pretty much on the same plain as far as over
all skill is concerned.  But I insist, we all _must_ realize the seeds of
argument in which has been circulating for the entire existence of our
musics; that we all must realize that there are stark, and rarely recognized
differences amongst the listener...

"Techno-purists" are into minimal repetition for a reason, the reason being
that repetition and minimalism is appealing and more so, comforting, in that
there is very little information to interpret.  In other words, I think that
the "techno-purist" tends to be introverted (very sensitive to environment
and stimulation), thus gravitating towards to rawest art, in this case
techno...

Moby and people like good 'ol Oakie have a tendency to attract the opposite,
extroverts (not so sensitive to stimulation), people who need even more
input then techno has, they need more than a raw emotion spooned out, they
need defined emotion to fell truly satisfied...

Ever notice a techno freak listening to a Van Dyke record?  The result is
often anxiety.  Same with a out going socialite listening to Oliver Ho
playing locked grooves, their anxious because they're waiting for some
defining moment to occur...

The magic that techno-purists feel however is something very unique, albeit,
not in any way "better".  Because of the repetition and raw emotion of
techno (as opposed to the defined emotion of say "epic-trance"), the
listener/dancer has his/her emotional autonomy _returned_ to them, a first
in modern music BTW (as far as I can tell, aside from tribal, correct me if
I am wrong), the music needs the listener to be complete, repetition is
merely a blue-print in which frames the listeners emotions in a stable
platform- without real listeners, repetition is merely that, repetition.
The is starkly different from pop music or epic trance in which the listener
is fully controlled and told what to feel, it would be difficult to feel
real anger during Binary Finary, but no one can truly describe any single
set of emotions behind any Rob Hood record because it is unique from
listener to listener...

I call this music/listener relationship in techno "toneshifting" in that the
tendency to a person locked into a groove with techno is to project outwards
melody which isn't there, they shift the tone of the track in their head.
This again shows the beauty of techno in that each person listening may very
well be hearing something entirely different than the person standing next
to you...

I also propose that this is the fuel behind the earlier experiments of
modern art, cubism, abstraction, ect., the artists (who funny enough, tend
to be super introverts!!) were trying to return the autonomy back to the
viewer, a single block of yellow painted on canvas is pure and undefined, it
is raw emotion, nothing else.  It is the job of the viewer to project out
onto the painting and add the emotional definition, thus making the painting
totally unique from one person to the next.  This is why it's silly to go to
openings like many that I do, and try to "figure out the artists pain" in a
picture that simply is a couple of simple shapes, man, its _your_ job to put
_your_ "pain" or happiness onto the picture, forget the artist...

I drift.

To finalize, the debate between Moby and Hood or whatever will never be
solved in that they are two entirely different forms of art, despite the use
of the same medium.  One is entertainment (Moby) one is guidance (techno),
and it's your personality type the determines which art you need most for
emotional gratification...

And last but certainly not least, techno can never be defined because it
would require a definition of every Toneshift in every mind and in every
ear...

sorry about the length,

darw_n

"create, demonstrate, toneshift..."