This is the kind of argument I hear from friends who don't like music
made with computers/programmable synths/drum machines at all, much
less replayed by computers.  For them, there's no feeling or
'mistakes' unless it's played on manually-operated instruments like
guitars, drums and Peruvian panflutes.    I would ask these people
whether listening to prerecorded music on a CD sounds boring .. after
all, they went through lots of takes to find their ideal recording,
discarding the mistakes, right?

It's a fool's argument, distracting from the question of whether or
not a given DJ/producer is an artist or just a hack.  There can be
amazing depth of feeling, spontaneity and improvisation with a
laptop-enhanced set; there can be boring, lifeless, properly
beatmatched vinyl sets.

Also -- and in my opinion, most importantly --  taking tools like MP3s
out of your toolbox (or brushes off your palette, choose whichever
metaphor you like more) just means you have less options, specifically
less access to the unreleased/netlabel sort of stuff we are lucky to
hear on Andrew Duke's show.

-drzachary