I've seen a few people do this, Andy Stott for one, but it made a welcome change and it's wasn't really a heads down set or vibe going but I can see why it would put people off, depends on the venue and what's happening in the other rooms I reckon. I love the odd silence to signal change but I'm more of a fan of the evolving set myself.

It can certainly work well with more downbeat or dubby music, but it's a bit jarring with dancefloor tracks (and it doesn't get much more slamming than Rob hood!) - plus I think one of the greatest features of live electronic music is the ability to blend little bits of different tracks together alongside improvised ideas, rather than just performing a single track as a whole then moving on to another..