There was this dutch couple last year (or 2 years ago) who went on an extended vacation and went from cost to cost to the US. They were stupid enough te let their tourist visa expired. So they got pulled over by some highway patrol and he noticed that is expired, he arrests the couple and they end up in jail due to something in that Homeland Security thingie they have in the US. They got out 3 months later...

I had my experiences as well with US immigrations, being shouted at and humilliated just for picking up a bag without that Immigration officer saying i could, trying to turn on a laptop when an immigration officer asked me if it could be turned on (how the hell could i know she wanted to do that). I have heard tons of stories like mine from friends and colleagues who went to the US.

Oh yeah and after all this you always immediatly pass a big sign saying "welcome to the united states of america", they sure know their sarcasm ;-)