My friend got turned back in uk.
He got busted when they got suspicious and googled his name.
he was down for playing one festival.
so best not to use your real name.

my friends band that just toured states and europe got past immigration
by shipping all there ampeg amps etc over before hand.  This is easier
than obtaining an artist/ working visa so they told me.  Another trick
they use is to get a fake reciept for a recording studio.  countries
like to see your spending money in their country.
If your a self funded DIY artist with no friends in the other country
it is almost imposible to go over with a working visa.

luckily japan doesn't seem to be so strict..went over a few months ago
with all my gear didn't even blink.

latersss