kent williams wrote:
As someone who began listening to reggae and dub going on 30 years, I
gravitate towards that sound wherever it pops up.  I don't welcome
people ossifying it into a genre though.  One of the attractions of
dubstep for me is the stuff that is informed by dub's sense of space.

But it's a shame that there's enough dubby techno coming out that
Boomkat has a  genre tag for it.  The good stuff is getting swamped in
a sea of mediocre 'me-too' tracks.  Anyone can hook up a muffled kick,
a minor chord on 2 & 4, and a 1/4 note triplet delay -- lord knows
I've done it myself plenty of times.  But why release tracks whose
chief virtue is how successfully they recycle the work of others?

It's a fair point Kent, good dub is very hard to do, understanding the "space" is not easy, while the childish use of echo is very easy indeed.