I think that I'd classify that as an analog string sound, which I'd
try to approximate using pulse width modification of a square wave,
then run it into a chorus + reverb.  I don't think that Neil was
borrowing Jeff's synth.  They both used similar sounds and then did
similar (but not the same) sort of pitch bending action.

It's a case of form following function.  They both needed a string
synth sound, and both being Detroit dudes, they both gravitated
towards the same kind of sound.

Now that I've done my forensic analysis I must say that I really love
both pieces, and when I listen to them, normally, I'm not trying to
recreate their patches on my Jupiter 6 ;-)