Hey Mike,

Welcome back! It sounds like you have it spotted. I had just typed all
of this up before I saw your reply, but it sounds like people might be
interested in getting this type of sound more generally so I'll post
it anyway.

It could come from any Pitch Envelope Generator (in Yamaha
terminology), which basically modifies pitch over time, like an air
raid siren. It's really fun to play with these. It's one of my
favourite things about the AN1x. In terms of it being a cheap synth,
it looks like the Casio CZ had similar functionality.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_CZ_synthesizers

On some synths with sophisticated LFO routing you could probably do
the same thing with as well if you slowly modified pitch, but it would
be less straight-forward to get these results - like you might need to
do that on one oscillator and have a similar oscillator that fades in
without the LFO at the sustained pitch.

There's probably 17 other ways you could do it with other
implementations as well.

Tristan