I agree with Thor--every listener brings their own interpretation to a piece of
music. Even the artist might not be able to explain why they created it.

I don't think you have to be from Jamaica to appreciate reggae or be from New
Orleans to appreciate jazz. These scenes all started local and then gained a
wider audience overseas. In fact, I have no doubt European tastes shaped the
sound of techno to some extent. If a record with a certain sound sold well in
Europe, of course Detroit producers would create other tracks in that style.

In any case, I personally think that if you are dancing to it, then you "get
it."