Fred,

I don't scorn UR they are my heroes.
I just WANT THEM TO MAKE MORE MONEY!!!
I'm being realistic about how well the business model is doing.
You can't solve a problem by pretending it doesn't exist.
Making money is a problem for musicians right now--not just UR, but changes
in music as a whole might be hitting their business model hard.
The move from streaming to owning hurts some underground business models.
This is just reality.

Likewise, yes, you are right, it's amazing that an email list from 1994
exists at all.
But be honest, the list today is nothing like what it was in its prime.

Anyway, you are missing the point. As a musician, I care about the music
and the community around music.
My job is to act to help the community grow in positive ways, and make kick
ass music.
I'm trying to do that within the reality of 2018, and streaming.
I have no interest in CRITIQUING shit out of the past. I only care about
finding ways to do shit that work, now.
And that includes Submerge being able to sell records.
I want them to succeed and I want to develop resources to help all local
community initiatives and cooperatives and grassroots cultural efforts to
succeed. But that requires strategy and actual new ideas.

Traditions are built over generations, but something I learned as a jazz
musician, is that each generation is responsible for moving the music
forward, and each individual. Not only that, we inherent a responsibility
as caretakers when we become participants within a tradition. I'm
interested in how I can get better at doing my job as a participant in
three living musical traditions, jazz, classical, and techno. You
participate in the tradition, FYI, by working with people in the tradition
and gaining their blessing, not just be declaring yourself to be a member.
I played with Detroit drummer Djallo Djakate's group, and recorded
keyboards with Alton Miller (it's supposed to come out on a Sound Signature
album eventually), so I'm actively involved with Detroit musicians recently
and have more projects in the works. So I have a direct stake in all this.

I'm starting a record label, so I need to know, for instance, if I put out
a record by a talented Detroit cat, how can I help him sell more records?
And if people won't buy records, how can I get my artists paid???

~David