I feel the same about Glasgow (Scotland) in many respects ... though I have
never experienced Detroit (I plan to), among all the other cities I have
visited I have to say the city had by far the best 'underground' vibe I have
ever seen ... I struggle to find nightlife anywhere as good, even in San
Francisco where I find myself these days.

in particular, the axis around jamaica street has to be one of the coolest
square miles on earth, with the arches, the (temporarily burned down) sub
and rub-a-dub records all providing food for the techno loving soul.

It may be cliche, but I witnessed some of the finest musical moments in my
life there - i'll never forget my first night at the arches - I had never
really been exposed to the music before, but I was blown away totally and
completely .. it converted me wholesale into the unredeemable techno junkie
I am today!

now that i'm away I realise how spoiled I was ... i assume it's rare to be
into detroit and have a big dilemma because there are too many great djs
playing in different venues in one night.

I remember the thread about UK techno a while back and noticed this never
got any further north than Sheffield, which is a shame.  If you are on this
list, are in the UK, and haven't been there, you should catch it while you
can.  hey, UR bothered to drop in to nearby Paisely for a visit so theres a
name dropped for 'ya.

anyway, sorry bout the misty eyed rambling there! maybe i've even got rose
tinted specs on...!

i'm wondering if there are any similar meccas outside of berlin, detroit,
etc.  Is there a second Techno City of America?