--- Cyclone Wehner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<SLICE>

> The techno scene in Melbourne is splintering along
> the neo-rave (younger,
> more European-influenced) and neo-Detroit
> (US-influenced,
> cross-generational, more club-based) crowd. I wonder
> if this has happened
> elsewhere?

I think this is happening everywhere in the US and has
been for probably the last five years at least. The
younger crowd get their start at raves, if nothing
else b/c they're too young to get into clubs. The
people that first expose them to electronic music play
them stuff you hear at raves. Of course this is a
generalization, but you get the idea. I'd say from
what I know, Detroit is like this too. The Detroit
rave seen is not that much different from the rave
scene in the rest of the midwest. The clubs are a
different story...

In more important larger cities in the US you see more
of the flavor of the prominent producers in that scene
reflected in the clubs. In smaller cities and less
prominent larger cities (Seattle for instance), the
underground clubs tend to be pretty similar to the
rave scene in that area. Just my observation mostly
from a midwest perspective with some time in Seattle
and Baltimore/DC. Of course, there's exceptions and
undergrounds in every scene, and *at least* 90% of
dance clubs everywhere in the US still play top-40
toilet paper cheeze.

One peculiar American city is San Francisco, which is
a hotbed for techno production, but the majority of
dance clubs focus on hip hop and house (big IDM scene
on the west coast in general from what I can tell -
mostly cyber hippies). Don't crucify me if I'm wrong,
this is just what I've seen of it.

Tristan