sims would be a drawcard to a few in adelaide too.... but unfortunately the
numbers here means if the promotors put on a party it's only a few hundred
dedicated adelaideans that are there, so they just can't afford to do the
parties.... it's a sad truth that a party with umek, valentino, common
factor, recloose, and wet musik can't pull a big enuff crowd to break
even...

i also heard that sydney doesn't get that many tech acts -  and that was
from techione aka damc a sydney-sider....

i don't know about a national mag, i always cringe when i see the word
dance specially in tech related discussions.... our local street press
seems to only devote 1 page to tech, and maybe 2 record reviews...

[cw]

ps cyclone: r u affiliated with onion in adelaide at all????

>From: Cyclone Wehner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>There is talk of a national dance mag starting in Australia - based in
>Sydney and run by UK publishers - and I fear this will
>> mean that our diversity will be compromised. It's very hard to convince
>> English industry types (esp those aligned with large clubs) that each
>> country has its own unique make-up and that other scenes are not merely
>> small, backward models of theirs. They just come here and see what they
>want
>> to see. Very few industry types in Sydney have a clue about techno (it is
>> very subcultural there, I think other Sydney guys on this list would
>agree,
>> this is why we should send Christmas cards to Southern Outpost, Fuzzy,
>etc,
>> for keeping it real!!) so if a magazine came out of there you could bet
>that
>> people we care about in Melbourne or Adelaide or Perth or Sydney's
>> underground would have to conform. Thank God also that the Sydney street
>> press still covers techno and at least gives people the option of finding
>> out about it, a Sydney glossy won't do the same. Any one see that letter
>> written by Sydney's Ministry of Sound boys in 7 in which they refuted
that
>> Ben Sims was popular in Australia with the rather embarassing "who the
>hell
>> is Ben Sims?" Nice guys who just have to do their homework. Like they
>didn't
>> have an inkling that Sims was a drawcard in cities like Melbourne. It was
>> really funny to us but was more Sydney-centricism/UK-centricism than
>> ignorance.

in the raw red dusk we said good-by,
on a bridge over a superhighway...
                   kerouac - OTR, 1958