Oliver Ho has some really, really interesting ideas on this too (his is a
fairly post-structuralist view of history, period) and again it hinges on
definition, he points to ancient tribal drummers in Africa and Asia and
draws a parallel to techno there, etc. The thing is that Juan and co never
said 'we invented electronic music' and that is where they have often been
misconstrued and misrepresented (I think he said as much Urb??), they just
created a music out of other musics and gave it a name and contextualised
it. Also with Mills you always get a sense he is really ambivalent about
locating techno geographically at all, like he wants to transcend 'Detroit'.
These things make it interesting.