Can't forget that Derrick May credits "Can You Feel
It" as one of the most important songs in his
development, and Derrick Carter credits "Strings of
Life" just the same. The supposed fragmentation
between the scenes was at more of a ground level,
whereas I think the artists always fed off of each
other and were very aware of the distinct innovations
in each scene. I can kinda see where Christian Smith
is coming from, but I think it lacks a timeline. I
mean, techno started out like electro, and house
started out like "deep house" in the original sense.
As they both progressed you see electro getting a
houseyer beat and becoming techno (particularly with
May), and you see house in general has gotten farther
away from its organic roots. But the bottom line is
the scenes grew up together, and you can see how they
fed off of each other.

Tristan