>From: "ab" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <313@hyperreal.org>
>Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 18:37:21 -0800
>Subject: Re: [313] Detroit techno isn't techno?
>

>the first time i saw derrick may live i thought he was playing 'house'. I
>have no idea about techno or house but it sounded like what i would call
>house music.
>
>It was later explained to me that he was playing techno - i never thought
>techno was all funked up!!
>
>i still have no idea!

anecdote time:

I made a tape for someone once who wanted to hear some goa trance.  I
personally like the Israeli style, which tends to be very groovy and
polyrhythmic.

When I aksed him later on what he thought of the tape, he said that he wasn't
expecting to hear house music!!!!  I was very taken aback, as anyone who's
heard goa would say that it sounds nothing like house.

sometimes I think people use  "house" as a catch-all term for anything that has
some booty/groove to it and "techno" anything that sounds more rigid/mechanical.

cc

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/