First of all, we all have to remember that everyone's defintion of "techno" is different.

Heck, some people out there define Moby, FAt Boy Slim, and the Chemical Brothers as "techno". To some, techno means the swedish sound (i.e. Beyer, Smith, Lekebusch ect.). Of course, the majority of the folks on this list define techno as something that originated with the "detroit" sound and was carried on further. The term "techno" is not only misrepresented alot, but used in many situations that makes it a hard word to pin down a distinct definition to. Obviously, The music that the Belville three were making was "techno" as they titled it thus, but the discrepancy of terms is in the listeners not the creators. This would give someone like Christian Smith the grounds to use "techno" as a word defining a music, and cunfuse us as to what music he is talking about.

I think personally that the influence of Chicago House is very strong, though I live in Chicago. Whenever a big-name DJ spins a set here in Chicago, whether it be Derrick May, or even Adam Beyer, or Sven Vaeth, they tend to play different than they would if they were in Frankfurt, Detroit, or Stockholm. That is the nature of these cities in which musics were created. Chicago influences people to play Housier sets, as Detroit influences the Techno side of things.

I can understand what he's saying.  As someone who grew up with both >May
et al, and Adonis et al, I do think that Chicago's gotten the short end >of
the stick.  It may be because the house infrastructure in Chicago >>(clubs,
radio, etc.) didn't...I don't know, crumble for lack of a better
word...the way it did in Detroit.  So May, and the others left detroit not
only because Europe was offering them the chance to get paid and fly, but
because Detroit was NOT offering them this chance.  And once they went to
Europe we all know what happened.

Adonis, Farley, Hurley and the others didn't HAVE to leave Chicago.

I agree with this. I think that the hot mix 5 and all of the others didn't have to leave chicago, as well as the fact that, outside of Chicago, different things were being played. That, I believe, is what has led to the stylistic impact of artists playing in Chicago.

Chicago will always have that intense House blood flowing in its veins...
unfortunately, I grew tired of it quickly...

Cheers everyone!
Dennis Donohue