Thanks, All, for the info.  I dont know if I can fathom the idea of replacing my
records with a laptop computer, but it would be great to have so that you could
drop .wav files of your own track into your own set without the costs of
vinyl-pressing.  It  would also be great to get ahold of tracks that are long
out-of-print, however i'm afraid this may lead to a homogenization of the music
scene...  If everyone has equal access to the same tracks, I think your going to
see alot of DJ's all playing the same tracks, none of which having "that record"
to drop that no-one else plays....

As far as the producers not getting paid, well, I know when I truly like an
artist or band that I have downloaded off of napster, I do in fact purchase the
CD.    In response to an earlier comment in this thread, There was in fact a
reduction in shipping costs when CD's were first released, but the problem is
thast this was never passed on to the consumer, it was rather absorbed by the
companys themselves... Hopefully a system can be developed to get payments to
artists who are distributed digitally, but I believe the big record companys
will fight this tooth and nail..