OH, I'm not feeling this one. What do you or people you've spoken to know about what made Jeff who he is? This all "keepin' it real" stuff is extremely annoying. Its another way of keeping a man back from his potential and achievements. In other words, Playa-hatin'! Look, before living in Detroit, (I used to commute back and forth from Chicago) I used to have a romanticized view of the D because of the music. Since living here for the time being, I've had in many conversations been told about "life in detroit" from people who've been here all their lives who they themselves are busy looking for opportunities to leave. Not only was I schooled on the mentality of the city, but also politics in the music and how people treat each other on a basic level. My conclusion? It is not what its cracked up to be. Lots, including me are drawn to Detroit because of the music and insist that Detroit is this and that..."Go Detroit!" Its cool, but we must remind ourselves that we're all looking at it from environments more pleasant and we need to understand that its ok if some folks can careless. My perception is quite balanced now. Don't get me wrong, I really wish things were better here but I'm not as naive about it as before.

In regards to Jeff, I don't and won't say he's dissing Detroit or blame Mills for not being a "detroit" artist because to me, he has risen above the crap and became a global figure when his opportunity came. Bigger than life itself to some. Mills transcends Detroit. If you're in a bad environment, you get the hell out. You don't stay if you can help it and I don't care who you are (exception being that it depends on a person's mentality). It applies especially if it deals with keeping your sanity and spirts up so you can WRITE music and live life to its fullest. Yeah, sometimes it takes a bad situation to force a person to do something remarkable but the sad, awful truth is that it HAS to take that sort of environment. I always wanted to know why not California, as opposed to Detroit...now I know.
Have a nice evening...flame away.  =)

glyph

I know some people in detroit that can't forgive Mills for, as they see it,
dissing detroit.

never forget what made you what you are.

-Joe