----- Original Message -----
From: "Arne Weinberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: [313] Black techno artists

> Again:
> Is it really a question of the colour of the skin? This was discussed
before.

Arne,

With no disrespect intended (I really love your music and your contributions
to the list), I think a lot of Europeans have trouble relating to racial
problems in the US (well, many Americans still believe in a color-blind
uptopia too). Even some critical race theorists posit a future in which we
can look *beyond* the color of one's skin (and this doesn't mean ignoring
it). But at the moment, at least in America, this remains a utopian vision
and not a reality. Case in point: racial injustice is still so pronounced in
the US (and the evidence is still very clear today) that we have a month
dedicated to celebration of African-American history, and more intensive
educational focus on that neglected perspective on American and global
history. So without re-hashing the debate about whether or not race is or
should be an issue still in the US (or on this list), I would hope we could
at least pay respect to Gerald's idea that we could recognize current
influential African-American electronic music producers/DJs. It's a timely
topic. Titonton's a great example! ...and like Gerald said, "how about
Europe"? I for one, wouldn't know the color of a lot of European producer's
skin to even comment.

Tristan
http://www.mp313.com <- Music
http://www.metrotechno.net <- DC techno + more