Saturday, May 04, 2002, 12:44:12 PM, a knob was tweaked and out came:

sd> that reminds me of the question I wanted to ask Jeff Mills at the
sd> Submerge/Metropolis showing (but unfortunately the Q&A period was dominated
sd> by some clown with a big mouth and small brain): is Detroit Techno® still
sd> music of and for the future or is it now considered "retro" to make Detroit
sd> style techno? has the future envisoned by the original Detroit Techno®
sd> generation passed us by? When people ask me what kind of music I'm making
sd> these days I tell them "old Detroit style techno like Derrick May and Carl
sd> Craig used to make." I think if the future has indeed passed us by, then
sd> it's time we went Back to the Future. Anyone feel the same way or is it
sd> just me?

Its interesting . . . even though younger genres like drum n' bass and
glitch hop sound very futuristic from a production standpoint, I
always mentally associate them with the present day.  They seem largely
a soundtrack for the late nineties design aesthetic.

But techno . . . techno is 300 years from now.  What old school
Detroit has that most of its children don't is a core yearning for
tomorrow. It overstates that futurism at times, it can be a bit gaudy
in its roboticisms . . . but you always know that its about more than
putting on your stylish clothes and rocking the scene.  Its always got
that long term scope . . . its always pushing towards the horizon.

I see nothing wrong with lingering on that sentiment.  "No UFOs" will
be as futuristic in 2006 as it was in 1986.  It sounds like the past,
but it thinks about the future.