----- Original Message -----
From: "sean deason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2002 3:44 PM
Subject: [313] back to the future

> that reminds me of the question I wanted to ask Jeff Mills at the
> Submerge/Metropolis showing (but unfortunately the Q&A period was
dominated
> by some clown with a big mouth and small brain): is Detroit Techno® still
> music of and for the future or is it now considered "retro" to make
Detroit
> style techno? has the future envisoned by the original Detroit Techno®
> generation passed us by? When people ask me what kind of music I'm making
> these days I tell them "old Detroit style techno like Derrick May and Carl
> Craig used to make." I think if the future has indeed passed us by, then
> it's time we went Back to the Future. Anyone feel the same way or is it
> just me?

I feel like there's plenty still to be explored there. Delsin and Digital
Soul are great examples of the new, old school IMHO. I think I prefer it
when people go back and add a new twist, informed by all the other
developments of the past 10 years, but there's nothing wrong with making
stuff that sounds like it came out in '87. If that's the funk you feel, then
that's the funk you should make. Bottom line: classic Detroit Techno still
sounds good today because it was timeless music. If people make new timeless
music today, that happens to sound like yesterday, then we're better-off for
it. It's not like there are many more than a few hundred classic Detroit
Techno tracks.

Tristan
http://www.mp313.com <- Music
http://www.metrotechno.net <- DC techno + more