There's a similar trend here with breaks DJs playing it. But a lot of breaks
DJs I know say "I like the music but not the words", and so hesitate to
commit to booty/ghetto tech all that much.

Besides, no disrespect intended for breaks DJs, but I think people who come
at the scene with prior knowledge of Chicago/Detroit music will have a
better understanding of it, and by understanding the music in context do a
better job of pitching it to ambivalent overseas crowds. Many breaks DJs
don't seem to understand that context - for example, a lot of those people
will turn their nose up at the 4/4 material on Dance Mania, or look at you
strangely if you play Ectomorph or Cybotron in a booty set, but I feel
they're missing the point of the whole thing.

Neil Rushton (to use that analogy again) was from a Northern Soul
background, and so when he first came across Transmat he already had quite a
deep knowledge of Detroit's musical context and therefore understood it in
context, enabling him to successfully open the UK up to that sort of sound.
You might say that ghetto tech will only work overseas if the people
promoting and playing it have a prior knowledge of Detroit and Chicago's
musical scenes and are able to place the music in context for their
listeners...

Brendan