From: Brendan Nelson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 22 August 2002 16:29
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Cyclone Wehner; 313 Detroit
Subject: RE: [313] Mo' Ghetto Tek

You just have to look at the crowd attendance at, say, a Q-Bert gig in the
UK against one in the US. The US spawned a genre of music, hip-hop, where
skills on the decks are hugely important to the DJ, and that culture lives
on quite strongly there. In the UK, you have to admit, the majority of
people rate DJs more on their track selection / PR profile than their deck
skills - there's not a lot of pressure on people like Norman Cook or Paul
Oakenfold to show off dazzling new deck tricks.

But there are indeed groups of people in both the US and the UK who like to
see good mixing - it's just that in the UK they're largely confined to the
hip-hop scene, and that's why there aren't any British techno DJs who mix
like Claude Young, or booty DJs who mix like DJ Godfather. It's not
necessarily a good or a bad thing but I do think that raw deck skills get
you further in the US than in the UK (unless you're a hip-hop DJ).

Brendan