It's all about the 'ghost notes'  in drum patterns that fill in the gaps
for funk. Also, the way the Bassline works with the beats is key. I've
studied dance beats for around 12 years and always wondered how a certain
track was swinging so much. To begin with I thought the Hats must be off
the beat but after many years gradually realised that you can make a track
funky by adding just a simple little shaker or closed hat to a kick and
bass line. It's amazing how such small details in a mix can produce grooves
whereas if you were to take them out a track could sound very bland indeed.

As for Trance, one of the main reasons it doesn't often swing so much is to
do with Tempo in my opinion. Trance in the main comes in at around 135-140
bpm. The slower the track, the more space there is to play with in the mix
so the ear naturally has time to pick up on the ghost notes etc.

Production is also key, getting those levels and compression right also
affects the groove. Trance is generally very bright and at times over
produced which detracts from the underlying grove.

Bergz.

"Brendan Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 11/12/2002 10:34:27