I was going to try to mae that point about "ghost notes" and the gaps
between the beats being used to inject funkiness, but wasn't able to
articulate it as well as you've done below.

Here's another thought, although a much more abstract one - an unfunky
electronic rhythm goes "up and down" (ie, the dancer is tempted to just
pogo to the track), while a funky electronic rhythm goes "round and
round" (the dancer is tempted to get busy)?

And another, more P-Funky, thought - you don't qualify as being "on the
one" just because you have a crash cymbal every four bars!

Brendan

| |