> what PC software do you use for this? (wavelab, soundforge, cool edit?)

Personally I like cooledit pro2 as I like the keyboard shortcuts and 'save
selection as...' feature.

I record a lot of mixes direct to HD and I've found that setting the temp
folder of the recording software to a mapped network drive on a different
machine dramatically increases speed and responsiveness for recording,
saving and any post production.  This can be especially beneficial with the
large files produced by recording mixes at a high quality.  If you don't
have a home network then having the OS swap file on a different drive to the
one you are recording to can also help.

Cheers

matt

-