Robin wrote:

it's a line drawing thing then isn't it, as you say we do these jobs cos
we think the money is enough to cover what we think we're worth (well
kinda)

kenny dixon jnr obviously thinks he's worth the money that his 12s go for
and does the one sided/limited thing cos he deserves the money for the job
he does.

Agreed, but if you take this principle to the extreme, you arrive at the situation where no record has a fixed price and instead every release is auctioned off, because only then will you discover what every release is worth.

Fact is that there is an (implicit) beat-for-the-buck standard in the industry of 15-20 minutes of music for about 10-11 EUR/USD. If someone doesn't want to conform to that standard, that's his perfect right to do so. The consequence however is that people are all of a sudden confronted with the fact that they're paying the same amount of money for half or less the amount of music. If you'd put that great track that you would buy the single-sided EP for, on a three-track EP with two average tracks that you wouldn't think of buying the EP for, the three-tracker would sell a lot more copies than the one-tracker even though it's the exact same great track that people buy it for.

So doing the one-sided or double-track stuff makes people much more calculative than they would be normally, and one end result of that attitude is bootlegging.

Otto