Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:22:12 -0500
To: "::)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        <313@hyperreal.org>
From: "Matthew MacQueen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: artists vs. bootlegging

> the bootleggers would have a lot less market if the record were =
repressed

I can't disagree with that logic.  BUT... I've been following this =
thread for awhile and a voice I'm not hearing in this debate (that is =
kind of troubling to me, actually) is the rights of the ARTIST.  Art is =
not necessarily subject to the same demands as say, any old consumer =
product where the goal is to sell as many as possible (say, toothpaste =
or something).  One of the benefits of owning and running your own label =
(or printshop, for example) is to control the trickle - or flood - of =
your art into an art-buyers market -- more control over your own =
destiny.  You can still keep things limited or special if, as the =
artist, you feel like that is a part of your 'statement' so to speak, of =
what you have created.=20

When a famous potter makes a vase, and they decide to make 5 of them, =
not 500... it makes that vase unique.  You have to think the artist has =
a reason to only make 5 if that's what they choose.

Is everyone forgetting that the artist has a right to release as many or =
as few pieces of art as they feel?   Sure there are ramifications of =
releasing few, I'm not denying that:  if demand is high enough and the =
art is scarce, it may get bootlegged.  That is a risk. =20

But an artist of any medium is certainly never OBLIGED to fill the needs =
of every consumer!  That is the artists right.  I have detected this =
slight tone of "well if he just would have pressed up more it wouldn't =
matter, he deserved it, etc." -- but the reality is sometimes an artist =
might want LESS of something out there, not more, as part of the =
artistic statement itself.  I respect artists who choose to release =
less, not more... even if I can't have a copy myself.  But that doesn't =
necessarily mean I'm going to bootleg it (and profit from it) if I can't =
find my copy.=20

peace,
Matt