I find myself waiting for Otto to chime in here (the man has a doctorate in
issues relating to supply and demand after all).  But I don't want to put
him on the spot.  ;)  So here's my humble opinion:

Unfortunately, this may be the result of fallout from the heavyhanded
tactics of the record industry.  Let me try to clarify.

Underground Artist X forms a label and minimizes supply as an artistic
statement or business decision (whichever, does not matter).  Greedy Fan Y
decides to cash in on higher demand by bootlegging.  Greedy Fan Y is
breaking the law.  Y could have asked for licensing rights and given a cut
back to artist X.

But artist X will not do business with Y, in part because of a complete
mistrust fostered by the record industry's history of ripping off artists.

This is the pure (albeit ugly) nature of free markets, no?  Survival of the
opportunist?  I am NOT condoning bootlegging.

The piece that's missing is the free flow of information from the willing
buyer to the copyright owner.  This is what a lot of artists are trying to
figure out lately.  Of course I am not taking into account the economics of
vinyl production and single copy distribution.

Final thoughts:  If that pre-order deepchord CD was available from their
site, I'd order now.  I am about to own a legit copy of Beltran's "10 Days
of Blue" after waiting 6 years to hear it.
--
im