I'm stunned. I really can't believe anyone doesn't love this record. When I

alright, ok, i'm an idiot then! :P
i listened to it again and gave it more of a chance...i must admit the lyrics are decent, dunno why i didnt notice them the first time, nice message yeah. i guess i only heard the things i didnt like -- the smoky horns, the very nice/typical keys (sorry, its just a scale! nicely played but too nice! loungey..spine tingling?? ookkk :P), and the vocal delivery in general (btw there are bits of scatting in there matt, not much but a little) to say its not jazzy is to ignore the smoky horns and loungey keys and scatty bits, but i agree love&war isnt really very jazzy overall, or housey, or even that r&b tho, its more like old soul because of the vocals...i really wanna like it, and now after being treated like a moron for not liking it, i almost cant help it :P it's very good but it just dont do much for me, even now that i feel stupid about it. the parts i dont like go a long ways towards turning me off to the whole thing. i dont like that loungey leaning sound (like dave mentioned..) and it's very _nice_ stuff -- there's no twist...too damn nice! i do like the dub better, didnt even listen to it the first time i played the record. the beat does drop to just sticks and has a lot more happening, nice snares etc etc. alright. i'll hold onto it a little while maybe it'll grow on me.

i still just aint feeling amp's vocals either tho. very much like old soul but without any rough edges and sounding a bit overcooked...imo! toooo smooth and smoky. i bet he was great live without the studio smoothness. the record is all close but no cigar to me...i do like it more now that i hear what the lyrics are saying tho.

i'll review some other stuff i really do like soon. so far out of an order of 30 records this is the only thing i'm not very happy with.

jt