From: Phonopsia [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2003 7:20 PM
To: 313 Detroit
Subject: Re: (313) amp fiddler love&war

I'm stunned. I really can't believe anyone doesn't love this record.
When I
played it for my friend Ben, who doesn't really pay attention to
anything
electronic and is generally uninterested in it, I had to rip the
headphones
off his head. When I played it out a couple of weeks ago, one of my
friends
who fiercely hates vocals in house was cheering me on. It's useless for
me
to reiterate Tom (Andy ;)'s points, b/c I think he's said it all
perfectly,
but Dave, please give this a listen, b/c I wouldn't characterize
anything
about it as jazzy in anything more than the vaguest sense. It is pure
funk.
The keys that come in 1/2-way through are gorgeous. Perhaps they're
simple,
but they are as effective as anything Moodymann has ever done on his own
and
then some. The precise moment that they enter confirms the perfect
arrangement of this record. I have heard it at least 50 times now, and
every
time that his keys come in I get a tingle in my spine. It does it for me
in
every way. J.T., we're really butting heads recently, aren't we. ;) Oh,
and
his live set was bar-none the best moment of the festival for me.
Nothing
else was even close - other than maybe Traxx @ Cannonball.

Tristan
=======