> Detroit Experiment I was really only feeling a couple
> tracks, it seemed pretty cut and dried, like stuff that
> has already been done better by Herbie Hancock in the 70s
> which is a real pinnacle of music for me.
> Herbie is sick!

I am telling you Midnight at Twenty Grand is the cut!!  Such a moody
detroity soundtrack, I can imagine driving into the city to that one, or
looking out a rooftop across the city on a warm night outside.

BTW - Totally agree about Herbie... not trying to take anything away
from him. But as a proponent of future music (esp. of the detroit
flavor) I can't just sit back and say "well that sound has been done
better 30 years ago by someone else so why bother."  I want people to
keep pushing, I want to hear someone who'll in 30 more years have blown
Herbie away... hey I know it's far fetched but you know what I mean.
Once you have the Herbie moments on vinyl you need, there's plenty of
places and trajectories he's launched forward... I want to seek out
where those seeds landed and who is taking it forward... on the
electronic tip especially.  Ayro seems promising...

So you jazz fans, how about the top 3-5 "must have" Herbie Hancock LPs
or moments ?  Commentary encouraged.

Peace,
Matt MacQueen