Andrew kindly sent me some info which he wanted to post to the list, but
couldn't for some reason..

so here it is, I think there's a couple of Q's in there that I don't know
the answers to....

> First up, did any UK people tape the South Bank Show? I missed it and
> would really appreciate seeing it! Money/music/drugs are offered as
> incentive...(now where's that aspirin I lost?) But seriously, I was
> talking about this the other day with some friends, this very topic! We
> were listening to Sunlight and it was freaking us out, but the last LP
> he did was a bit of a let down. I dunno, but I was expecting some kind
> of amazing futuristic journey and it just didn't happen for me. Did
> anyone check the huge sample of Strings of Life on there? Recalling
> from memory it was kind of played in reverse, but not really done (dare
> I say it) with any real imagination or spark. Plus it wasn't credited
> (wonder how Derrick feels about that?). Maybe I need to listen again...
>

>> I dunno, I know nothing about jazz. I have a few Miles Davis LPs, some
>> Pharoh Sanders stuff and that, but I've never been able to find much
>> more
>> stuff that I'm really enthusistic about (mainly because I don't even
>> know
>> what to look for). 'In a Silent way' is something I like...
>>
>> Maybe JT can recommend some stuff for us for the list? or anyone else?
>> top
>> 5 jazz lp's to find that we might like??
>> would be interested to know.....
>>

> I'm not yet really a proper head with jazz, but I'd say if you haven't
> checked John Coltrane yet, get 'A Love Supreme' and 'Ballads' as soon
> as possible. Get anything, actually. (Although his later stuff can be
> quite mental, free jazz sort of stuff.) If you like 'In a Silent Way'
> then 'Ballads' will be very pleasing. Oh, and 'Giant Steps', this is an
> amazing LP, nice mix of bopping and slower jams. ('Naima' is a big tune
> from that one, beautiful.)
>
> Somebody mentioned McCoy Tyner (Coltrane's piano man on the
> aforementioned LPs) and I have to mention this track of his, from the
> 'Fly With The Wind' LP, it's called 'Beyond the Sun'. It's very
> beautiful, verging on classical. I think it's been sampled, maybe it's
> on one of those 'Back to Mine' comps. (Fila Brazilia or Zero 7.) Anyway
> it's amazing, melancholic, melodic genius!
>
> But jazz is such a huge field it's hard to say what to avoid really! I
> guess anything that isn't the modern 'Smooth Jazz' that gets played on
> Jazz FM is worth looking at. What I've found is that there are so many
> surprises to find in even the most obscure, beard-and-wooly-jumper jazz
> fusion LPs, or the oldest 1920s swing. What I've found is that on most
> of the LPs I've bought there's at least one or two really funky jams,
> or maybe just something that makes you think harder. The musicianship
> is second-to-none, I mean which other genre do drummers get to do their
> own LPs? That guarantees some wicked drumwork somewhere in the record!
> (Check Elvin Jones, Norman Conners, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa....)
>
> More immediately, I'd say get Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Dizzy
> [...]

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems. By replying to this e-mail you
give your consent to such monitoring