>GT is the store never had anything in stock (what i was looking for at
>least). the dj culture in the US is dropping off. people are spending
money
>else where.

Groovetech would get new stuff in just around the same time that my local
shop would so after a while it made no sense to shop there for me. Plus,
the recent hike in their prices put me right off buying from them.

Really seemed like they were going toward the type of house music I hear
all the time around here - that whole Naked Music/Miguel Migs thing - lots
of west coast sounds. As far as techno - hit and miss. Their
roots/funk/reggae/dub section was pretty bad ass though.

They had a good/great idea but I think they spread themselves a bit thin
and couldn't sell a large amount lesser quality music.
I think lots of online stores could look at Groovetech as an example of how
to present your merchandise but not necessarily what to stock. They really
introduced some innovative ideas for an online store.

It's scary how shaky the independent record industry is. My local shop is
not doing so well. How can an independent survive?
If you keep smaller quantities then you run the risk of not having what the
customer wants. If you stock too much of the wrong item then you've shot
yourself in the foot because you can't move the merchandise. I'd love to
open a shop but it's too much of a risk these days - lots of shops that
have been around for a long time are not surviving.
I don't blame mp3s - quite the contrary - I think deregulation of the media
is killing music in the US.

MEK