From: Matt Chester [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 6:58 AM
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: (313) peacefrog

Of course that's true - the amount of money we are talking about is
pitiful if you view it as an income - but if it's money that drives you,
then Detroit Techno and the like is not, and never will be, the place to
find it. If you want to make money from music, then you have to have a
product that more people can latch onto, ie something more mainstream.
Or, as previously mentioned, you can try to make money as a performer -
for example, even if Jeff Mills were to sell 10,000 copies of each Axis
release, it would still leave him with less money than a single big gig.

The point is, in my opinion, that we produce, sell and buy this music
because we love it - music, like all art, is something to spend our
money on, not a way of making it.  To be an independant label manager,
you basically have to accept that you will never see any more money from
a release than you would get from a nights work in a bar, at best.  You
do it because you want to, not because you can make a living from it.
And most people lose badly - in another example, word has it that Andy
Weatherall lost over £60,000 over the lifetime of his excellent
Emissions label...

Not wishing to be overly idealistic about it, but the fact is, there is
no money in our scene - so it's a waste of time and energy trying to
find it
(IMO!)