From: Cyclone Louise Wehner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 10:51 PM
To: 313 Detroit
Subject: Re: (313) dying business? [was: RE: Nu Era on Twisted Funk]

Not dying, but changing.
I know I've said it before but the impact of file sharing has been
profound
- added to the economic uncertainty.
You can talk to any label boss, from Simon Dunmore (Defected/Stealth) to
Luke Solomon (Classic) to Meat Katie (and breaks are big and all that)
and you'll get that view. People just have different views on how to go
from here, what is the solution? I would say the majors have lost 2/3 of
their staff - Universal Music shed something like 75 percent in
anticipation of losses - and there will be more downsizing. OK, so many
peepz here could care less about majors but the smaller labels are
hurting too. Classic got burnt big time when their distributor went
under! I think there is a perception that house music was dull in 2003
with the likes of Basement Jaxx saying as such in interviews but there
was plenty of great underground stuff, as we know, but not great sales.
DJ Sneak says he had trouble finding a UK label deal for his album
'cause labels were scared - and he's had that huge Fix That Sink hit so
he would be a viable prospect, you'd imagine. The media backed the rock
revival thing - on the basis of everyone liking Coldplay, I don't know -
but it's more that the market has diversified and actually I think it's
become easier for kids to like rock and dance and urban, there's more
hybridisation happening, too. In Australia there have been several
sell-out tours and I reckon people are saving money on records by
downloading and using it to attend live shows.