On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Phonopsia wrote:

> [...]

"innit?"  so i see the iowa accent has not effectively disappeared!  ;)

There's been some attempt to actually test this empirically....to see
whether exposure to rap music (or other "aggressive art forms" like heavy
metal) has an impact on how people think and behave.  there's some
tentative support for the relationship.  people listening to violent hip
hop are more likely to support violence as a means of conflict resolution
than people listening to non-violent hiphop.

but more work needs to be done, in both testing the effect experimentally,
and in tracing the development of these themes in the music (and on radio
and video) over time.  i'm doing some of this work myself, and we'll see
what happens.

peace
lks