So ripping a pair of Gap Boxers equivalent to burning a flag. Will one guy
change the world by doing it? Maybe not. Maybe he'll make a few people
think about where their food and clothes and music comes from.

I like the notion of "hands ripping" becoming a sort of memento mori of commodification - a reminder of the hands/people who were a part of the production of (and then forgotten in) the thing which has been commodified. I agree with Kent here in that Herbert is doing something different than mere consumption; he's breaking the cycle and the icon in the process. Dennis' remark, though, carries in it the pertinent seeds of the real issue for those who dislike the notion of reducing human relationships to transactions : we all participate in the system which perpetuates that which we find abhorrent.

                                                        (back to lurking)
jeff