Oh dear, my first attempt at purchasing a record was Pablo Cruise's "Worlds
Away" LP from a Sears department store so that tells you how old I am.
Problem was, the record was warped so I brought it back (my mom worked at
Sears at the time) and got a new one. That too was warped. My mom looked
into the matter and found that a whole shipment of records must have sat on
the loading dock and the entire box was f*cked. My older brother offered to
help out and went record shopping for me and he got me a Foreigner 45rpm 7"
single - "Cold as Ice".
I hated that record and really thought he was taking the piss.

Sadly my next purchase was worse so it will go unmentioned

after that I think it was KISS for the next several years until I
discovered Devo, the B52s, and Kraftwerk

MEK