>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>now if anyone doesn't mind- i could easily start a thread regardi hip=hip
>>that i've recently discovered. stuff that probably has more in common with
>>carl craig than public enemy
>>
>>anyone?
>
>i'd be interested!
>you can reply of list if no one else is interested.
>
>jurren

Let's do it - it's just as 'on topic' as some of the other stuff people want
to discuss.

Futuristic hip-hop I'm appreciating at the moment:

*Viktor Vaughn - Vaudeville Villain

OK, I have just discovered that this is in fact -MF Doom! No wonder I like
it so much.

Muffled 303 and 808s, unashamed synthiness and a love of eschewing the
obvious, make this something I'd recommend to this list. One small patch of
dubious lyrical content but mostly it's sound.

You might also want to check out Madlib and MF Doom's Madvillain project. LP
is due in a few days:

http://www.stonesthrow.com/madvillain/

I heard an EP of a collaboration of Doom & Lib a few weeks ago - *on
Bluenote* (but I'd totalled my record allowance so didn't buy). That was
also very good. Sorry the name escapes me. Check here:

http://www.bluenote.com/artistpage.asp?ArtistID=3718&tab=1

*Mr Lif - I Phantom. This is now quite old (2002?) Emile recently turned me
on to it. It's brilliant. A lot of the same qualities as MFD but a lot more
aware lyrically and I think more club-friendly too.

*Boom Bip - Seed To Sun - again I'm late on this. Mostly good. But some
noodly and indie-sounding moments which is not for me. Mostly very painterly
with shades of dementia. And I do regard it as hip-hop. Mostly!

*Masterminds - Subliminal EP. With Mr Lif 'No Test Redux'. Again I'm so late
with this (it's from 2001) - but then again, I think many copies have been
loitering in vaults for the last three years as the shop said they'd never
seen them till now.

- 'Subliminal' is filtered rock-riff hip-hop before OutKast and it's highly,
highly recommended. 'No Test Redux' is a avant-downbeat loop to lose track
of time to. Sweetly put together.