so, if you dj off a laptop you don't have the dead give away records and you get through customs as a tourist.

or am i missing summink?

robin...

On 17 May 2004, at 23:58, Carissa Tintinalli wrote:

My guess is that we'll start seeing even more artists getting denied entry into the U.S. Hopefully this won't affect Movement anymore, but I wouldn't be suprised if it did.

The INS announced a couple of months ago that it was going to get stricter with work visas for artists and entertainers. They feel that this would be an easier route for terrorists to enter the country, seeing as the requirements aren't as strict as those to obtain a permanent work visa (i.e. needing a college degree or official certification in your field).

But even beyond those reasons, the INS has more power than many realize to deny people, and for a variety of reasons. If Ellen Allien had even some misdemeanor charge for jaywalking on her record, they could use that as reason to turn her back. Actually, they don't even need a reason. They could have just thought "female techno dj from Germany travelling with all these records.......hmmmm....this doesn't appeal to my conservative outlook. DENIED!".